Thursday, June 16, 2011

Siena at Two and a Half




I've put off writing this post for over a month now (which explains why Siena is wearing a jacket in these photos instead of a swimsuit), mostly because it's getting more and more difficult to quickly sum up her personality, interests, etc. as she grows older. She's much more complex now than she was a year ago! Still, I know that if I don't write a few tidbits now and then, they'll quickly be forgotten. I'm frequently amazed at how little I remember about the girls from even a few months ago -- that's definitely a big reason to keep up with the blog. Anyway, back to Siena...

- ABC's: One of Siena's biggest loves right now is her ABC's, or really anything that has to do with reading, writing, or spelling. She knows her letters well as well as the sounds they make, and loves telling you what letter a particular word starts with. She has a natural fondness for language and frequently points out rhymes, homonyms, and synonyms she happens to hear. We're just following her lead -- needless to say she can't wait to read! Her favorite rhyme right now (which she came up with herself) is "Rolly polly what a mess, Wheat Thins Wheat Thins on my dress!". She's a little chatterbox and I'm often struck by the tones and phrases that come out of her mouth, tones that she's clearly picked up from Mommy and Daddy! So funny.

- Food and Sleep: Not much to report in the eating department. Siena continues to be a picky eater, and would probably eat mini pancakes for every meal if we let her. Her pickiness is even more pronounced now that Libby is around to show us what a good eater looks like! Oh well... She's growing taller and is clearly healthy in every way, so we just roll with it. She's still sleeping in her crib, which we MAY be giving up for a big-girl bed in a few months, though I'm not sure how I feel about that decision quite yet. Her "Big Girl Room" is almost ready and Libby would probably like to move out of the pack-n-play and into a real crib, but I don't think I'm ready to have a daily battle with Siena about staying in her bed (especially since she still takes a nap). We'll keep you posted.

- Other Random Tidbits: Siena continues to be a joy, with such a happy, easy-to-laugh personality. They say we retain more or less the same personality from birth on, which has definitely proven true for Siena thus far. It's so much fun being able to have increasingly complex conversations with her as she grows, and to learn from her silliness and love of life. She loves "naked time!" after a bath, clearing all of the pillows off of our bed and doing her funny dance, changing the lyrics to songs, and telling jokes (her favorite jokes are to say "yef" instead of "yes" and "excuse mop" instead of "excuse me"). She is a great big sister for the most part and is playing more with Libby every day. Of course, sharing is a constant battle and I'm often playing referee, but I suppose that comes with the territory. She's great at playing alone now, which is a nice break for Mommy! Siena is quite social and will happily introduce herself to other kids on the playground. Like any toddler she has her bad days of course, and we're no strangers to whining and tantrums. All part of the fun, right? All in all we're lucky to be pioneering this parenthood adventure with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment