This afternoon, for the first time in her life, Siena fell asleep in her room all by herself with no fussing or complaining. I can't tell you what a huge breakthrough this is for us, and for me especially, since naptime has been getting increasingly difficult around here. Bedtime hasn't been as much of an issue since Joe is home and one of us can watch Libby while Siena is going down, but with just me at home during the day I was often fighting Siena to stay in bed while trying to keep Libby quiet on my lap and just pray that Siena would fall asleep amidst the chaos. Even if Libby happened to be napping, getting Siena to stay in bed and relax was a frequent battle. The big solution? Putting Siena "back" in her crib. She didn't really sleep long in her crib when she was younger -- maybe from around a year to 18 months or so -- because we couldn't get her to fall asleep in it on her own, and when we'd rock her to sleep and put her down in the crib she'd wake up immediately. Hence moving her to a mattress on the floor, which worked well until Libby came along and Joe went back to work. Now I know why God invented cribs!!
How it happened... Today we went through the routine of reading 3 books, then I put her in her "new crib" with much excitement and talked to her about how she was going to go night-nights all by herself today. I gave her a kiss, she said "bye bye!", and I left. She sang some songs to herself for about 15 minutes or so, then silence. Sure enough, when I went up to check on her she was asleep!!!! I cannot convey how huge this is... It seems like we've gone through every sleeping arrangement in the book with this one! I suppose that's what a first child is for -- to figure things out. :) Anyway, I think I'm still in shock with how easy the process was, and how readily Siena took to her crib after sleeping on a mattress on the floor. Of course, all of this success could be short lived if she figures out how to climb out, but hopefully that won't be for a few months at least! Stay tuned...
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment